Santa Monica – September is Library Card Sign-Up Month. A big welcome to soon to be new users and thank you to our continued users. For those of you who aren’t sure if a Library card is worth it, here are a few reasons why you will want one:
- Library cards are FREE for all California residents! Who doesn’t like free things?
- For the you youngsters (0-18 years), we now have Fine Free youth library cards. The Fine Free program allows our young users to have increased access to all five Library locations and its materials. The best part of the program is that our young cardholders don’t pay overdue fines when they return their books, DVDs, CDs, audiobooks, or any material late.
- Too lazy to leave home? No problem. With a library card you have FREE access to eBooks, eAudiobooks, magazines, newspapers, and reference databases on your personal device. Even better, you can stream popular movies and music for free and renew items from home.
- Fun fact: The average Santa Monica Public Library cardholder saves around $322.00 a year. That means you have extra cash for shopping, trips, or anything on your wishlist.
- Love to learn? Need help with homework, a resume, studying for your GED or Citizenship Test or improving literacy skills? The Library is your resource, with 23 electronic databases, nine streaming e-media resources, and over 400,000 print materials. We have study rooms, meeting rooms, and up to 2 hours a day of free internet use with your library card at all five locations.
Whether you’re a job seeker, a student heading back to school, or simply looking for some free entertainment, Santa Monica Public Library is here to help. All you need to do is sign up for what will be the smartest card in your wallet.
Now that you see all the wonderful benefits to a library card, run to your nearest Santa Monica Public Library and talk to our staff or if you prefer to stay home check out smpl.org or call (310) 458-8600 for more information. See you soon!